- As you make your way through Othello, feel free to consult a few online summaries from the British Library , Cummings Study Guides, or even Spark Notes.
- Check out Terry A. Gray's outstanding web resource, Mr. Shakespeare and the Internet.
- What "languages of difference" do the other characters use when describing or interacting with Othello? How does Othello respond? How does he represent himself?
- The play opens in Venice, Italy. Given what you know about Venice in the 15th and 16th centuries, why might this be a significant choice?
- What are your impressions of Desdemona? Does she strike you as independent or "feminist"? In what ways is she caught in the oppressive cycle of her cultural moment?